The world certainly has changed since January 2020. At the current moment, a global pandemic is affecting lives around the globe. There are scary and sad things going on, which I don’t think I need to list nor discuss.
What I want to focus on is the slower pace of life that self-distancing/stay-at-home has given many of us. Personally, many of my perspectives have changed – likely forever.
The busyness of life can keep our minds focused on current events, our next social engagement, work, our to-do list, our next vacation…. and the list goes on.
I don’t consider myself overly materialistic, and I believe I’ve recently become even less so. Yes, I hope to some day soon travel and go out with friends again (to name a few things). Yet going back to the basics with our lifestyle has given me lots of thinking time.
If there’s one thing that this world “pause” has made vividly clear to me, it’s that I can find joy in so many small things that are right in front of me. The forced slowing down has given me the time to become aware of these small things that bring me joy.
There is joy to be found in the simple moments. Slowing down enough to recognize those little joys is helping me live a more fulfilled life.
Joy is a Choice
Whether it’s internal negative self-talk or finding the worst in any given situation, we all have some negative thoughts.
Purposely seeking little joys can help you take your power back from that type of thinking and not get stuck in a fear-based mindset.
If you haven’t given it much thought, I invite you to kick back and take some time to really think about what brings you joy.
Or, maybe there are things that could bring you joy if you took the time to incorporate them into your life.
50 Little Things that Bring Big Joy
This list is what brings ME joy, and my intent is to help you think about things in your life that bring YOU joy.
With no further ado, here’s my list.
- A surprise call from one of my grown children.
- My dogs spewing joy as I walk into the house – possibly after having only been gone 5 minutes.
- A relaxing, warm shower with my brain put on silence mode. (This is when the best ideas come to me!)
- Climbing into crisp, clean bed linens.
- Writing messages and drawing simple images with sidewalk chalk to spread cheer.
- Laughing. Any laugh is good but I especially love those deep down belly laughs that I physically feel in my stomach.
- The smell of coffee brewing in the morning. And cookies or bread baking in the oven. Mmmmm.
- Sipping wine with friends. Even more joy when it’s outside on a beautiful day.
- Seeing a small child fishing on a dock. This makes my list because it happened yesterday and that precious little girl explaining that the fish were all gone warmed my heart. (It was not for lack of grandma and grandpa’s efforts!)
- A slow boat ride along the shoreline so I can see all the trees, stumps, rocks, beaches, interesting old structures, etc.
- The sound of children playing.
- A good, old fashion nap. (I like to say naps are one of life’s best luxuries.)
- Video calling a friend who I otherwise would seldom see.
- Really good chocolate melting in my mouth. Yummmmmmm.
- Being in a crowd feeling like I know nobody, when an old friend surprisingly appears with a big smile and hug.
- Having a relaxing time talking, laughing, and truly enjoying the company of another.
- When my husband is watching tv by himself and suddenly bursts out a big ol’ laugh. (Makes me smile every time.)
- Dancing. I don’t care if it’s on a crowded wedding dance floor or in my own living room by myself. It lifts my mood and brings me joy.
- Music. Especially when I can just kick back and let it touch my soul.
- The sound of the snap when opening a soda can. This used to be a morning ritual. I now only have 1 or 2 cans per month, yet I still enjoy that snap!
- The feeling of accomplishment after a decorating project (big or small) that makes our home a touch more beautiful.
- The first drive in my Camaro after getting it out of storage after a long winter.
- Finding money in a pocket.
- Receiving a surprise text message from someone who messaged just because they were thinking about me.
- A store clerk who goes out of their way to help me and does so with a cheerful heart.
- The first robin spotted of the season.
- The first tulip seen in spring. (Daffodils are a close second.)
- Two squirrels playing – chasing each other up and down trees.
- Deer in my yard – I will never tire of watching them!
- Seeing a beautifully spotted fawn who can’t yet even walk! (Only happened once but to this day the memory still brings me joy.)
- The calmness felt after meditating.
- The huge snowflakes during the first blizzard of the year. (Not so much during the tenth blizzard, but that first one is beautiful!)
- Suddenly repeatedly seeing numbers like 111, 444, or 555. I believe they’re messages from my angels and they come at the most amazing times!
- Looking through old photographs that spark good memories.
- My beautician styling my hair.
- Feeling the warmth of the sun during winter.
- A good dream. I recently had a few dreams where my children were young. I could even hear their young voices! Speaking of dreams, I also had a wonderful dream about my dog who passed away last year. I held him and was ecstatic to see him!
- A good wine glass that is the perfect size and shape, and feels just right in my hand.
- Watching a lake, preferably while sitting on a swinging bench.
- A good book or movie that completely absorbs my attention.
- An incredible idea that mysteriously comes to me when I least expect it. It’s like I hear a DING!
- Walking in the rain on a warm summer day and in beautiful spring weather.
- Closing a door and hearing nothing. That’s after my husband oiled the squeaky door.
- A clean, organized closet or drawer.
- A guiltless, lazy day – taken on purpose as a gift to myself.
- Comfy slippers.
- Finding that “thing” after not knowing where it was for months.
- When the days get longer in the summer season.
- A walk in nature.
- An afternoon cup of tea in my very favorite tea cup.
Slow Down & Become Aware of Unnoticed Joys
If you are so inclined, feel free to commit right now to becoming aware of the possibly unnoticed joys in your life. Start by commenting below with 1, 3 or 50 little things in your life that bring you joy!
Your awareness will grow and you’ll start to find more little joys to embrace and enjoy. The little things all add up, so wait no more!
Enjoy Photos from my Joys
As you can see, I take many photos while on my daily walks. We live in the middle of nature and it brings me joy to capture so much natural beauty. I could also fill this page with family photos. Here’s a sampling!
Start today – go out and find joy in the little things in life!