Do you ever get so busy juggling everything you have to do that you forget to take the time to do the things that bring you happiness?
Unfortunately, a lack of joy in your daily life can lead to unhappiness, and it can even have long term negative ramifications on your health.
Several studies show that positive emotions, such as joy, can have a big effect on your health.
According to a study titled “Positive Emotion and Health: Going Beyond the Negative” that was published in the July 2005 issue of Health Psychology:
- Joy and optimism provided a 51% reduction in the rates of heart disease among men who were followed for 10 years during the study.
- Positive emotions such as joy and hope not only reduce the incidence of heart disease, but they also have a protective effect against high blood pressure, diabetes, and upper respiratory infections.
Thankfully, no matter how busy your life may be, there are steps you can take to instantly boost your mood and health.
5 Easy Ways to Add Some Joy Into Your Daily Life
Small changes will truly have a big impact in your life.
It’s a process that takes conscious effort. Trust that the more you do it, the more natural it gets.
1 – Take time to appreciate and have fun doing activities that you enjoy.
When you feel your energy beginning to fade during the day, take a break and focus on something that brings you pleasure.
- Give yourself permission to have little “joy breaks” throughout your day. These priceless breaks will instantly lift your mood, as well as help you reduce stress and recharge your energy.
- Simple things like savoring a cup of your favorite coffee or connecting with a friend have the ability to bring you joy.
- Don’t be afraid to let your inner child out! Playing is fun and joyful. It refreshes and energizes both children and adults. That’s why fun and play shouldn’t end with childhood.
The important thing to remember is to take time each day to focus on those simple activities that make you feel happier.
2 – Empower yourself with gratitude.
When having a particularly difficult or hectic day, you might find it tempting to focus on the negative aspects of the day.
Instead, try focusing on and appreciating the things that are going well.
Pay special attention to small moments or things that often go unnoticed or unappreciated. We tend to celebrate big accomplishments. But what if we made it a habit to embrace and celebrate small things?
- Feeling and expressing gratitude are very powerful. Gratitude has the power to change the state of your mind. Reflecting on your blessings can instantly lift your mood and give you the strength to keep working towards your goals.
- Consider keeping a “positivity” or “gratitude” journal so that you have a physical record of the good things in your life. Rereading your gratitudes will allow you to relive the good moments, and that will help lift you up and encourage you during tough times.
Writing (instead of just thinking about) helps train your brain to look for things to be grateful for throughout each and every day.
Download my free Daily Positivity Journal printable and start today:
Practicing gratitude is a powerful step to creating space for joy in your life. Whether these good things are big or small, dwelling on them will help you grow the happiness and joy in your life.
3 – Change things up and do something new.
Caught in your comfort zone? Doing the same things over and over make for a daily routine that seems sort of like being on auto-pilot… boring.
Reset your creativity and bring some interest back to life by simply trying something new, something different. Rediscover your joy!
- Your imagination is the only limit. To get started, take a new route when you go for a walk, shop at a different grocery store than you’re used to, rearrange your furniture, or try a new recipe that features an ingredient you don’t normally use.
- Learn a new hobby. A good hobby should be enjoyable, energize you, and even make life more meaningful. Would you enjoy a hobby that is conducive to relaxation (such as reading or painting), or a hobby to help you get in shape or you learn a valuable skill?
Related Reading: 35 Fun Hobby Ideas You Can Learn for Free
“Just try new things. Don’t be afraid. Step out of your comfort zones and soar, all right?”–Michelle Obama
Trying something new helps break the monotony of routine, and a habit of trying new things will help you learn to be more open to change, new experiences, and to new possibilities.
4 – Smile! (Do not skip this one!)
Whether your smile is genuine or fake, research shows smiling is good for you because it can increase your happy-factor and even reduce stress.
Sound crazy or maybe too easy to be true?
Even if it feels awkward, and even if a smile doesn’t depict your current mood, give it a try right now and just smile! Really… right now. I’ll wait…
Isn’t that incredible how even a fake smile positively impacts your mood? Get in the habit of smiling as you drive home after work, when you are making dinner, and anytime you want to uplift your mood instantly.
There’s actually scientific explanation for why smiling is contagious. It involves mirror neurons, a small circuit of cells in the brain. Read more about why smiling is good for you.
5 – Surround yourself with supportive, positive people.
Joy is a choice, and every choice is influenced by the people in our lives.
Increase your chances for happiness and joy by surrounding yourself with positive people who encourage and support you.
Supportive people are who you talk to when you:
- Need help sorting things out in your head
- Need a good laugh to life your spirits
- Need help knowing what steps to take for your goals or dreams
“My best friend is the one who brings out the best in me.”HENRY FORD
Choose to spend time with people who listen judgment-free, remind you of your strengths, make your laugh, and cheer you on. (That person might be different people depending on what type of support you need.)
RELATED READING: How to Build a Circle of Support for Your Life
There’s great joy in having a large circle of support, and also in being in someone else’s circle of support.
Ready To Change Up Your Routine and Grow Your Joy?
Remember to make time for laughter and fun throughout your day.
Not only will you rediscover your joy, strengthen your health, and increase your own happiness, but your positive energy and outlook will also affect others around you and increase their level of joy, too!
If You’ve Ever Thought About Working With a Life Coach, NOW Is the Time!
We all want to experience joy, and it has to come from within. If you’re ready to do the work to build a more joyful life, let’s talk!
As a Life Coach (more specifically a Joy Coach and a Certified Fearless Living Coach, I help women integrate tools into their daily lives so they can live a more fulfilling, joyful life.
What you’ll learn and practice (with my support) will transform every aspect of your life: relationships, career, social life, and even interactions with random people. It will create abundance in your life.
Book a Discover Call so you can get a feel for what it’s like to have the support of me as your coach. This is YOUR LIFE! Are you ready to invest in yourself so you can live the life of joy you deserve?