I have this “Today I Choose Joy” sign at work. It acts as a friendly reminder that I have the choice to be joyful… or not. I can’t control everything that happens, but I try to remember that I CAN control the way I react.
Joy is the magic ingredient that makes everything go better in my life. When I’m movin’ and groovin’ with internal joy, I feel like I increase the joy factor in myself — and in others I encounter. I really believe that joy is contagious. The more joyful I am, the more joyful I become. Joy multiplies.
How do we spark this joy within us when life is not always peaches and cream – or even when everyday responsibilities seem overwhelming? How do we grow our internal joy when we just don’t feel joyful? For me it took a conscious decision to find joy. When I catch myself feeling annoyed or upset, I stop and deliberately bring my thoughts back to a happier place. No, it’s not always easy, but it does get easier with practice.
So today, I choose joy.
- I kickoff my day by taking time to feel appreciation for my comfy bed, quilt and pillow.
- My dogs are always right there (literally in my face) to greet me in the new day. They inspire me with their ability to pop up out of sleep and be tail-wagging ready for the new day. They definitely have this joy thing mastered, and their joy rubs off on me.
- I keep my thoughts positive for as long as possible. Some days my positivity lasts longer than others, but I have gotten better at it over time.
- I try to pour joy and fun into everything I do – my job, doing laundry, cooking, exercising, connecting with friends and family, etc. Sometimes I play fun music while cleaning, connect with a friend to exercise, and I always expect that things will work out for me.
- Before I drift off to sleep at night, I recall my day and think about 3 positive things that happened.
For more ideas on how to attract more joy to your life, read my post about The Power of Positive Thinking.
What are the ways that you bring joy and fun into your every day responsibilities? Please share your tips or thoughts in a comment.
You might also enjoy:
- The Joys of Walking
- If You Want to Attract More Good Experiences to Your Life, Read This!
- Shop: books about Joy